- Wool is a natural fiber. Each year sheep produce a new fleece, making wool a renewable fiber source.
- Wool has the ability to regulate body temperature by keeping you warm when you are cold but releasing heat and moisture when you are hot.
- Wool has a large capacity to absorb moisture vapour next to the skin making it extremely breathable.
- Wool has a naturally high UV protection.
- Wool fibers have a natural protective layer which prevents stains from being absorbed.
- Wool is naturally fire retardant.
- Wool fiber can be bent 20,000 times without breaking and still return to it's natural shape.
I hope I've explained the benefits of wool and why it's the best choice for hats, scarves, mittens and gloves. Wool lasts pretty much forever and can be passed down from generation to generation. The only difference in washing these items is that they need to be hand washed unless they are knit with "superwash" wool. Hand washing is easy but a little more time consuming than machine wash. Hand knits should be washed in barely lukewarm water with no agitation, twisting or wringing. A small amount of mild soap should be used and then rinsed in the same lukewarm water temperature. The best way to dry hand knits is to lay them flat on a towel and gently roll up the towel to absorb the excess water. Then lay the knit flat to dry completely.
|Wool Winter Hat|
|Hand Knit Chunky Slouch|
See these beautiful hand knits and many more at Windy City Knits